Application & Prizes
Perks & Prizes
For all Participants: join the global platform of innovation leaders; connect with the keys actors of the energy transition and find potential partners; see your views represented in the Energy Innovators Issues Monitor; Inform and influence policies that will boost innovation.
For the Top 100 Start-Ups: be included in our “Global Energy Transition (GET) 100” list, a yearly publication disseminated to our corporate partners and investors.
For all Finalists: Return-flight to Berlin, and accommodation for 2 representatives of the startup or innovation project to attend the Tech Festival; Pitch coaching by innogy Innovation Hub; Individual booth at Tech Festival; Live pitches at Tech Festival; Investor-matchmaking; Tickets to the Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue (BETD); Branding in all communication material; opportunity to take part into the Innovation day of the World Energy Congress 2019 in Abu Dhabi.
Winners of each category: maximum 10.000 Euros prize money ; Participation on the winners’ panel at the Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue (BETD ), Profile of start-up celebrated across the World Energy Council’ s global energy network in 99 countries; opportunities to attend a World Energy Leaders’ Summit.
- Applicants may only apply to one category. All subsequent applications to other categories will be disqualified. This also applies to the Special Prize: SDG-7.
- The startup or innovation project must not have been founded longer than ten years ago. In other words, the date of foundation cannot exceed 2007.
- The application, including any attached documents and pitch decks, must be in English.
- Attached pitch decks must be no longer than 20 slides.
- The startup or innovation project must be able to present a functioning prototype. In addition, the applicant must be able to present a legal framework, proof of concept or a client, and/or an industrial/corporate/institutional partner.
- The applicant must fill out the entire form. Partially completed applications will not be accepted.
- High-resolution company logo (300 dpi) as a .jpg or .png file for publication on the SET website and in the competition documents.
Participants are highly encouraged to fill in the World Energy Issues Monitor survey at the end of the application process.
Selection Process & Timeline
November 14th, 2017 – January 31st, 2018: Application phase
February 7th – February 21rd: Reading jury evaluation (Top-100 startups selected)
February- March: High-level jury evaluation (Top-18 startups selected)
First week of March: 18 Finalists notified
Mid-April: High-level jury meeting & finalist pitching in Berlin at Tech Festival. Announcement of winners at BETD-hosted Award Ceremony.
What happens if you’re a finalist?
In early March, you will receive an e-mail informing you that you have been one of the three finalists chosen in your respective category. After this time, you will be requested to send us a 1 minute video which clearly demonstrates your product and the impact you are looking to have to the issue you are looking to solve, business model, team and motivation to apply for this award. If you are selected as the winner of your category, the video will be played during the Award Ceremony. In addition, the video will be used on our social media outlets to promote the finalists prior to the Tech Festival.
Weighting and grade allocation
Please note that all grading decisions will be made based on the application and pitch-deck provided in the application, with the exception of a finalist tie in one or more of the categories. In the event of a tie, 10% of the grade will be allocated to the live pitches at the Tech Festival. In such a case, you will be informed promptly beforehand.
Terms & Conditions
Download the official conditions and legal terms for taking part in the competition.